Saline Area Attractions

Bixby Marionette DisplaysBIXBY MARIONETTE DISPLAYS
At Saline District Library
555 N. Maple Road
Admission Free

Saline’s own Meredith Bixby, one of America’s foremost puppeteers, is celebrated in these displays.  For generations, school children throughout the country sat in rapt attention when the puppeteers made their annual visit.  Dioramas of Bixby’s marionettes and stage settings, photographs, and artwork highlight his 50 years as a national performer.

 

Depot Museum

DEPOT MUSEUM
402 N. Ann Arbor Street
Open Saturdays, 11am-3pm
(year round including holiday weekends)
Admission Free

The Saline Railroad Depot was built with a late Victorian architectural style in 1870 and was used until 1962.  On July 4, 1995, the depot was dedicated as a museum and accepted to the National Historic Register.  An old pot-bellied stove still reigns in the station agent’s office, where visitors can view pictures of all the depots along the spur line between Ypsilanti and Hillsdale County, where switching tracks took the train on to Chicago.  The exhibit also includes the freight room, a fully furnished 1906 caboose, and an 1830’s livery barn. Learn more >>

 

Depot TrailDEPOT TRAIL
Between 402 N. Ann Arbor Street and Harris Street

The Depot Trail is 1/4-mile long and runs between North Ann Arbor and Harris streets.  The trail was installed in 2006 by clearing brush and trees from an abandoned RR with a lot of hard work from a number of citizens. The funds which paid for that portion of the work that could not be completed by volunteers came from the Washtenaw Steps Up grant via the community group, “Pick Up the Pace, Saline” (PUPS).  The trail is made of crushed, compacted limestone to provide a walkable, bikeable surface.  Further enhancements were made to the trail in 2007 including public art, plantings, a bench, and bike rack from the same funding source.

 

Rentschler Farm MuseumRENTSCHLER FARM MUSEUM
1265 E. Michigan Avenue
Open Saturdays, 11am-3pm
(Outbuildings May thru Sept. / House May thru mid Dec.)
Admission Free

Four generations of Rentschlers lived and worked on this farm from 1904 until 1998 when the City of Saline purchased the early 20th century farmhouse with Queen Anne-style porch, several outbuildings, and four acres for the purpose of a museum.  Volunteers from the Saline Area Historical Society have developed the farm with a focus on the changing farm life from 1900 to 1950.  This time of great change in agriculture and family living, with transitions from horse to tractor, kerosene to electricity, and an agriculture-based economy to a manufacturing economy, are all visible in the history of this family farm. Learn more >>

 

Saline Community GardenSALINE COMMUNITY GARDEN
Woodland Drive
Between Woodland Meadows Elementary and Weber-Blaess School

The Saline Community Garden is an organization dedicated to community building and healthy living.  It provides a gathering place for friends coming together to grow fruits and vegetables, promoting healthy eating and exercise while celebrating our great historic community, local arts, and culture.  This project is funded through the “Pick Up The Pace, Saline” (PUPS) community coalition which receives Washtenaw Steps Up funding through Washtenaw County Public Health and the Michigan Department of Community Health.  The Grand Opening and Dedication was held May 20, 2007. Learn more >>

 

Sutherland-Wilson Farmstead

SUTHERLAND-WILSON FARMSTEAD
797 W. Textile Road, Pittsfield Township

The Sutherland Wilson Farmstead is being preserved as a historic site.  Purchased by Langford Sutherland in 1832, the farm remained in family hands for 170 years.  The Greek Revival home and carriage house/stable are pictured.  Other original outbuildings include the pump house, wood shed, ice house, hog house, and barn.  This sesquicentennial farmstead is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and the restored barn recently received the “Barn of the Year” award.  Information about and events related to the farmstead can be found on the website, www.pittsfieldhistory.org.

 

Two Twelve Arts Center

TWO TWELVE ARTS CENTER
212 W. Michigan Avenue

The Two Twelve Arts Center is a non-profit organization funded by the Cowan Slavin Foundation.  The mission of the Center is to provide a creative hub offering visual and performing artists the opportunity and working space to come together to work, create, and teach.  The Center contributes to the cultural life of the residents of Saline and its environs by supporting a full schedule of classes, programs, performances, and exhibits. Learn more >>

 

Weber-Blaess School

WEBER-BLAESS SCHOOL
520 East Woodland Drive

This quaint one-room schoolhouse from the 1860’s was donated to the Saline Area Schools by the Milton Weidmayer family.  In 2002 it was moved to its current site, beginning the historical preservation.  The schoolhouse has been made into an interactive museum with many historical artifacts, including desks and furnishings.  Teachers from Saline Area Schools have developed individualized curriculum for Weber-Blaess enabling students to experience different eras and a rich, varied sampling of the early days of education in a one-room schoolhouse. Learn more >>


Pittsfield Township

Check out what is going on in Pittsfield Township

 

Visitor Bureaus 

The Ann Arbor Area Convention & Visitor Bureau and the Ypsilanti Convention & Visitors Bureaus have a wealth of information for visitors to Washtenaw County.  Click on the logos to find out more.

 

Ann Arbor Convention & Visitors Bureau

 

Ypsilanti Convention & Visitor Bureau

Local